Jose James: “Blackmagic”
Jose James has been called a jazz singer for the hip-hop generation, a title that does a so-so job of describing his music, but an excellent job of qualifying just how hip the guy is. And how hip is he? You tell me. On his second full-length, he enlists the indie-approved, Pitchfork-certified, Thom Yorke-collaborating producer Flying Lotus to lay down a few grooves. Elsewhere, he sings over a track by Japanese DJ Mitsu the Beats. And oh, yeah: one of these songs is a jazzed-up version of a track by dubstep master Benga.
It’s a collaboration that spans the globe, and a sound that’s at once retro and unquestionably modern, but that’s not what puts the power in James’ intoxicating Blackmagic. That’s because even when he’s letting his hipster flag fly, the man still sounds like he’s kicking it old-school. Listen to the terrific baby-making ballad “Promise in Love.” The crisp hip-hop loop gives it its kick, but the pleading Al Green vocal and trumpet give it its soul. And soul music is what James is making here, make no mistake; his musical horizons may include opening up the genre to the possibilities afforded by hip-hop, drum and bass, and dubstep, but the heart of the music lies in something far more timeless.
Read the rest at Stereo Subversion.
Hot on the Box
Lists & Features
- Favorite Records of 2012 (So Far)
- Esperanza Spalding: “Radio Music Society”
- Chuck Mead: “Back at the Quonset Hut”
- Justin Townes Earle: “Nothing’s Gonna Change the Way You Feel About Me Now”
- Vijay Iyer Trio: “Accelerando”
- Bruce Springsteen: “Wrecking Ball”
- Film Break: “John Carter”
- More on Carolina Chocolate Drops
- Lyle Lovett: “Release Me”
- Anais Mitchell: “Young Man in America”
- RT @ChrisMurphyCT: McConnell is correct, but only because Republicans diagnose the "problem" as "too many people having health insurance."… 1 day ago
- RT @mrmedina: I don't know the god Franklin Graham serves. The god of whiteness and nationalism whose fruits are oppression and further mar… 2 days ago
- RT @peterdaou: I ask this question of the entire GOP. How can you cut funding for these programs in good conscience? How?? https://t.co/hSL… 2 days ago
- RT @christianmccrea: Here's the only Roger Ailes obit you need. (From a Deadspin commenter) https://t.co/lBEy1jY74P 6 days ago
- RT @sterlewine: Political pundits are united in their reaction to this bonkers Trump story. nytimes.com/2017/05/19/us/… https://t.co/1gG59gbR0X 6 days ago